Given that Star Wars is arguably the biggest movie franchise of all times & The Force Awakens was always going to do very well at the box office.
But now the official numbers are in and the Return of the Jedi sequel has absolutely steam rolled its way through the opening weekend records! The Opening Weekend Domestic (USA) Box Office record, previously held by Jurassic World with a hefty $208 million, has been decimated by The Force Awaken’s massive $238 million!
At the Worldwide Box Office, Star Wars has so far returned $517 million. This is short of Jurassic World‘s $528 million, but the full totals may not be in just yet! The rest of the records taken home by Lucasfilm & Disney are as follows:
- Biggest Thursday preview gross with $57 million
- Biggest Friday and biggest single-day gross with $120.5 million
- First film ever to post a single day over $100 million
- Fastest film to $100 million and $200 million
- Biggest December debut (nearly 3 times previous record of $84.6 million)
- Biggest IMAX Thursday night preview ($5.7 million), single-day ($14 million, Friday), and weekend ($30.1 million)
- Highest theater average for a wide release ($57,568)
Whether The Force Awakens has the longevity now to topple the big two of Titanic & Avatar is another question, but given the reaction from fans, we do see it being a two-three viewing kind of movie for many. It may also see many Sunday Matinee & Kids Clubs showings from now until who knows when!
If you have not seen The Force Awakens yet, make sure to check out our SPOILER FREE review right here!